Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been having gastrointestinal issues past few

Customer Question
days. Doing food alergy testing...
My dog has been having gastrointestinal issues past few days. Doing food alergy testing and gave her turkey 3 days in a row, caused lots of gas lost her appetite. Took her to vet no UTI, gave her nausea medication. I know she was nauseaus. She ate dinner last night, breakfast this AM did not want dinner. Took her for walk got caught in a huge downpour and she was having a hard time going. Finally went and it is looser than usual and bloody. This has never happened to her before. Should I bring her to the ER?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that your dog is having bloody stools. How is she acting? Is she showing signs of nausea now (licking lips, increased salivation), gum color nice and pink and moist? Alert and responsive?

Also can you please describe the bowel movement? I know it is not pleasant but was it all frank blood, blood on the outside of her stool, explosive? Large volume?

Thank you

Well I hate that you might be having issues with the site and your dog is potentially distressed. I will give you basic guidelines for tonight that require a veterinary er and hopefully you will be able to view the information

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it, for your case that is continuing with moderate amounts not just on the outside
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I hope she is feeling better soon. I definitely would not push the food tonight. If she is not interested she is likely nauseous and missing one meal can help reduce her gi spasms and allow her intestinal tract to rest and reset for tomorrow. But if any of the symptoms above are noted please have her seen tonight as a precaution

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian