Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What is eymaria? My pup's stool was positive. I know I

Customer Question

What is eymaria? My pup's stool was positive. I know I spelled it wrong. It is nonparasitic but where did he get into it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Eimeria is a coccidia parasite that is found in other species- poultry, cattle. It doesn't infect dogs. It can be ingested in the stool of other animals. If your puppy ate chicken poop, that could cause it. It will show up in the stool, but it doesn't cause any signs.

The coccidia that is found in dogs is typically Isospora. If there was a coccidia species seen in the stool, I would have a hard time telling the difference microscopically. I would probably be on the safe side and just treat with a round of Albon. It treats all of the Coccidia species. It's safe and very effective.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.