Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been throwing up water and a little foam lately

Customer Question
but food stays down fine...
My dog has been throwing up water and a little foam lately but food stays down fine. What could be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has he had these signs?
Are you seeing distension of his belly?
Can he keep any water down?
Does he vomit just after the water?
Does he drink quite a bit?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
I have noticed this happening over the last week. There is no distension of his belly nor any tensing, tenderness or pain when I press on his belly. His gums look pink and moist. I am not sure how much if any water he is keeping down or how long after he drinks that he is throwing it up. My guess is that he probably drinks quite a bit at a time. I suppose it is possible that he has eaten something he should not have. He is acting normal. We just keep finding his puddles of water with a little foam (definitely not urine). They are not always near his water bowl.
Thank you,
Just since you are finding these wee puddles, can you confirm that he isn't coughing and then retching (as opposed to vomiting)?
I am not sure of the difference and I have not actually witnessed him doing it.
No worries about that,
We would just want to keep an ear out for what he is doing. Especially since it is more common to see retching/coughing of this type of material without food then vomiting. In any case, we can cover both our bases here to be sure. But if these signs linger, then we'd be best a check since some coughing situations can require antibiotics to settle.
Now in regards ***** ***** care, we have a few options. Since throat irritation (which can be related to abrasion from something he ate, inflammatory tracheitis, or kennel cough) commonly results in these kinds of puddles, we can first try to soothe his throat. To do so, you can try him with plain over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Typically we will give a milliliter (~1/4 teaspoon) as needed. This will aid to soothe his throat and settle any upper airway related irritation.
Otherwise, we can try reducing any lurking low grade nausea. To do so, you can consider treating him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
Otherwise, and ideal here, we could choose to use a liquid antacid like Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide; 0.5tsp every 8 hours). The advantage of this one is that it will reduce nausea but also is better at coating the throat. So, it could tackle both concerns in one treatment. Though whichever you choose, these are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications.
Overall, Rocky's signs are most suspicious of throat irritation or potentially a low grade nausea. Therefore, in this case and since he is keeping food down, we can consider trialing the above along with soft food to reduce his signs. If his signs linger after a few days of this, then we'd need to consider a check up to determine if he has picked up a infectious agent that needs further treatment.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
nekovet
He is doing better. I haven't seen any more puddles even though I haven't yet purchased any of the meds you suggested. I will just keep watching and try the Milk of Magnesia if problem returns.
Thank you for the update,
I am glad to hear that he is settling naturally for you. In that care, that sounds like a fine plan at this stage.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian