Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My golden has had very runny stools and this morning I went

Customer Question

My golden has had very runny stools and this morning I went to the vet clinic (not my vet) and bought some I/D. The issue has stopped for now but I just noticed that her gums are pink and brown.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.

I understand that you are concerned about Rozy having gums that are pink and brown in color.

This may be perfectly normal and something that escaped your attention until you paid attention to her gum color. There can be normal variations in gum color. Some dogs have all pink gums, but many have brown or black splotches of color on their gums.

Do her gums look like the pup's in this link?

http://www.lbah.com/images/dental/gradeI.jpg

If so I would consider her normal.

I get concerned if the gums are very pale in color, or if there is evidence of bleeding or bruising (purple or red splotches). See this link for a picture of a dog with bleeding/bruising. The link shows a dog with normal variation of color (pink and gray color) as well as evidence of bruising/bleeding (red spots on gums):

http://vet.uga.edu/ivcvm/courses/VPAT5200/01_circulation/hemorrhage/images/Quiz4.jpg

Please let me know if you have any further questions after viewing the links.