Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has raspy cough within hours after coming home after

Customer Question
grooming apt with assorted frothy...
dog has raspy cough within hours after coming home after grooming apt with assorted frothy discharge. has all shots, lives with another dog, also went to same appointment. no behavior differences. he has nothing stuck in through, is eating fine, sleeping fine, until he wakes up gagging
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today. It sounds like he might have been exposed to a dog with kennel cough of another bug that he is more sensitive to then your other dog. Just as when children go to daycare one can come home ill while another has no issues whatsoever.
Even dogs with current vaccinations can get this condition, just a more mild form as with people getting the flu vaccination can still get the flu virus but a more mild form.
There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief
1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant
2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs
3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation
Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.
I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. Especially with the uptake in the canine influenza in the country the past few months...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian