Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My French Dog just ate about 12 red licorice sticks,

Customer Question
Hi, My French Bull Dog...
Hi, My French Bull Dog just ate about 12 red licorice sticks, Twizzlers. I am freaking out.
Will she be ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because your pup Muggs ate 12 pieces of Twizzler's red licorice sticks candy.
I suspect that you are concerned about the licorice content in these candies. Licorice in very large quantities can cause liver damage, raise blood pressure and cause muscle weakness. But red licorice actually doesn't contain any licorice root, the ingredient that causes the toxicity. These contain more sugar than anything.

Since she ate quite a bit of the candy then the high sugar content is more likely to be an issue. That can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
To try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help settle her stomach and get her feeling better if she does seem nauseous. They can be used for several days as needed.

If she seems at all nauseous I would pick up all food and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick.

If she vomits you can offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water to get some electrolytes in to her.

If she seems to feel better and there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If she refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs veterinary care to treat her nausea.

But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she vomits even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if she refuses to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian