Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got into ortho fire ant killer and we think she might

Customer Question
have eaten some of the...
My dog got into ortho fire ant killer and we think she might have eaten some of the powder as the container had saliva and was chewed on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Can you look at the label and tell me the name of the active ingredient?

2- Do you know how much she ate?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How long has it been since she ate it?

Weighs 15 lbs.
-not sure how much she ate, probably just licked a teaspoon
-"acephate 50% and 50% other ingredients"
EPA registration number(###) ###-####-seems a little sad but still barking crazy at the neighbors dogs.
-ate a teaspoon of yogurt and a few tiny ice chips
-doesn't seem to be running a fever
-vomited three times about 4 tablespoons worth of green liquid all together

1- Is she having difficulty walking?

2- Is she drooling?

3- Any tremors?

4- How long since she ate it?

No tremors, trouble walking, or drooling.
Vomited two hours ago.
Ate the ant killer three hours ago

Friend, acephate is a weak organophospate and depending on the amount ingested it can cause: Vomiting, salivating, tremors, lethargy, involuntary urinating or defecating, seizures, etc.

At this point inducing vomiting may not help as it has been more than 3 hours since she ingested the powder. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked by ER vet for supportive care. If you don't have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by family vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian