Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My puppy is vomiting saliva. And she has diarrhea. I just

Customer Question

My puppy is vomiting saliva. And she has diarrhea. I just got her yesterday. She is still playful and loves her toys.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Cherokee that has just been sent on to me. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. This is definitely a rather worrying situation and one you need to monitor very carefully. This sort of case is always of concern to me since so often I see puppies such as yours in my clinic who have bad intestinal worms, a bad gastroenteritis, or sometimes even the nasty parvo virus. The combination of vomiting and diarrhea is definitely a concern, and if your girl can't keep water down, then it would be best for your to take her along to a vet in your area today if possible. As she has had some vomiting, with hold her food for the next 8 hours, but please continue to encourage her to drink plenty of fresh water. If she won't drink, or can't keep water down, you really do need to get her seen.

Whatever the case you will definitely need to keep a close eye on Cherokee's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate today as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to your vet or emergency vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion. Test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

As above, given her age and the number of potential causes for her symptoms, you are best off to get her seen this afternoon if possible. There are a few things that could be going on here from a partial or complete intestinal obstruction, intestinal worms (hopefully she is up to date with deworming treatments), a toxicity, or this could even potentially be something infectious such as parvo virus - particularly if she hasn't been vaccinated yet!

Best of luck with your girl and please let me know how you get on. For now, make sure she is drinking plenty of water and try to keep her as quiet as possible. There is a risk that she will become quite badly dehydrated relatively quickly if she isn't drinking and has ongoing diarrhea. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kalin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cherokee. How is everything going?
Pet Doc