Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 6 year old pug named TJ. In the past month he has

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have a 6 year old pug named TJ. In the past month he has been scratching his back end so much that it has become raw. This is the worst I have seen him scratch in 6 years...is there anything I can do from home to help this before I end up taking him to the vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning Diane and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This is most often caused by allergies to many things but since this is TJ's rear, this is usually fleas. Chec him over for fleas and then use a good flea control such as Comfortis or Advantix.
Follow these instructions:
Give TJ Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area of the back end. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.
Does that make sense to you, Diane? This treatment can be very effective.
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Diane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tj. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian