Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13yr dachshund having bouts of diarrhea only at

Customer Question
nite,Appetite and thirst have increased...
My 13yr dachshund having bouts of diarrhea only at nite,Appetite and thirst have increased also,but I have not increased food.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It is hard to know , considering your guys age, if the diarrhea is the primary cause or secondary to something else. The first thing you should do is have your vet perform a thorough physical exam and blood work to rule out conditions such as Kidney or liver disease and many others. If these are normal, follow these instructions:
Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.
Give Imodium AD at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.
After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).
If this has resolved, wean your guy onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine your dog. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
had session with this about 6was ago.had blood etc...ok. before was real bad session round clock for days.did chi&rice and probotics.vet thought nerves maybe.going to try Imsodium
Imodium* thank you. nite time is a fiasco right now!!!!!
It certainly can be caused by stress or anxiety so try this treatment first before seeing your vet. Inflammatory Bowel Disease is also in the differential list and the treatments for this are very different.
This LINK will explain this in more detail:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=305
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian