Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog was born on June 2007. He has had several bout of

Customer Question

My dog was born on June 2007. He has had several bout of intermittent diarrhea since the first of August that have kept reoccurring. At worse it was completely watery with mucous but has become formed with a bit of mucus to end with watery and mucous at
the end of the bowel movement. he has had gas with his bowel movements but his appetite is good. At the moment I have removed all food for24 hours but am wondering if I should she a vet at this point. I really can't afford one since I am a senior citizen on
a small fixed income of $1000 a month, covers mostly bills. But my Indigo means a lot to me, I am alone and lonely. I have feed Indigo bland diets, given him generic immodium, and have done small amounts of bland food every 3/4 to 5/7 hours. What could I try
next.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
From what you have described, it appears that sweet Indigo may have a condition called Inflammatory Bowel Disease. This is related to allergies so it is treated with steroids and antibiotics. Unfortunately, these are only by prescription so it is important for Indigo to see your vet for this treatment.
For now, go to the pet store and feed a Hypoallergenic dog food such as Hill's ZD and add probiotics available at the pet store.This may help some and if it does not, save your money so Indigo can get the proper treatment. Sometimes, there is no way around this, I am sorry to say even though it can be expensive.
This LINK will explain in more detail:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=305
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****