How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30288
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a dog who just ate an old hardend tube of pvc pipe

Customer Question

I have a dog who just ate an old hardend tube of pvc pipe weld (form of epoxy). He seems fine,and Im not sure if he ingested it or just tore it up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This occurred about 2 hours ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
These compounds - epoxies, caulking, and sealants rarely contain any significant toxins to dogs. The most common concern is that some contain ethylene glycol which in a greater quantity than is found in these products can cause renal failure. Since that's not the case, the most we expect is transient GI distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - but not toxicity from ingestion of epoxy weld. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner at this time.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.