Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 17 years old miniature poodle she has cushions but

Customer Question
today he stool has been...
My dog is 17 years old miniature poodle she has cushions but today he stool has been runny all day I tried ground beef and rice and still very restless
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Patches is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

The chances are that this is not related to the Cushing's Disease as diarrhoea does occur now and again with most dogs, there is a good chance that you can handle this on a home remedy basis but in her age group this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay.

That said there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate to treat their dogs with diarrhoea and report success. a typical dose rate would be 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of your dog's bodyweight given four or five times a day.

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A tablespoon or so twice a day should be enough for a dog of Patches's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Patches deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian