Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chin is not eating or drinking

Customer Question

My chin is not eating or drinking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has Paco been off his food?
Any reduction in stool volume, size, or changes in its consistency?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Paco is not pooping. Seems no urine output eiuther. It's been a few days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that I am terribly worried about Paco.
Anorexia in the chinchilla is a serious issue. When they go off their food, for whatever reason (ie dental disease, gut blockages, systemic disease, etc), this can lead to an alteration or halting of gut movement. This in turn can be detrimental to their health When this happens, the stomach contents dehydrate and compact, making passage through the gut more difficult. Reduced GI motility also leads to accumulation of gas and toxins and can start to compromise the blood flow to the gut. The less the chinchilla eats or drinks, the more compacted the contents become until the chinchilla stops eating completely. When the chinchilla stops eating, the guts stops moving and the problem worsens. Because they cannot vomit, these chinchillas will exhibit anorexia, weight loss, and may stop producing feces as well. We can also see abdominal pain with this.
Therefore, with the signs you are describing, it would be prudent to see your vet as soon as possible (even an ER vet if yours is closed). Your vet will be able to assess his state, ascertain if he is impacted (via palpation or via xray), determine his current metabolic status (via blood work), and provide pain relief if required. As well, if he is dehydrated, they may initiate fluid therapy, force feedings, and treat him with medication to improve her gut's motility.
If your vet is open, you want to take Paco in now. If they are not, then what to do vet-wise will depend on how much you can get him eating now. If you can tempt him to eat tonight and/or syringe feed him (one instance where organic veggie baby food can be used), then you might consider waiting until your vet is open in the morning. But if he is refusing to take in proper amounts of food and water, then I would consider seeing the emergency vet now.
If you don't already have an exotics vet, and wish to find one near you, check http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm . If you are struggling also check http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ as rabbit vets often see other wee pocket pets as well. And if you need to get him to the ER vet tonight, you can find one local to you HERE and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
Overall, these signs are a serious worry and the lack of urine and feces makes this an emergency situation. Therefore, we need to be proactive and act quickly for Paco to give him a chance to be treated and recover from this very serious urgent situation.
Please take care,
Dr. B.