Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My daughters Yorkshire Terrier's penis got stuck out. It has

Customer Question

My daughters Yorkshire Terrier's penis got stuck out. It has done this before.
But it seems like its getting larger. We have put warm water on him & massage him until it goes back in. I want to know what causes this, if its painful for him, & is there something that can be done to fix the problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear this is happening to Cowboy. This condition is called paraphimosis, CLICK HERE for more information on this condition. If the penis is not retracted after a period of time of an hour or two I would advise a veterinary er but I can give you some guidelines of things to try at home first.

- Lubrication with vaseline or ky jelly to allow the penis to slide back into the prepuce
- I know this sounds odd but granulated sugar on the penis if the lubrication doesn't work. It helps pull out the edema in the tissue and then slide back into place
- Once back in then pinching the prepuce skin together for a few moments to allow the swelling to subside and reduce risk of recurrence

Why does this happen? The primary cause is an intact male but if he is already neutered it can be excitement or dominance or lastly that his prepuce is shorter than his penis. If this has only happened once then likely it is not the latter because it would happen quite frequently.

-Please make sure the hair around the prepuce opening is trimmed short. This can be due to hair not allowing the penis to retract
- Increased licking can exacerbate the swelling. I know it is not realistic to not allow licking at all but minimizing as much as possible
- Increase exercise. Again it sounds odd but I can assure you with my little boy dog that has this issue if he gets a moderate amount of leash walks he has a lower risk of having this issue by at least 75% so 15+ minutes once to twice daily leash walk is ideal

If it continues to recur then it would be advised to have her veterinarian evaluate him and ensure there is not a physiologic reason for his issue. I can tell you with my little boy (and others I see) that it is due to increased excitement and not enough exercise most of the time and keeping the hair trimmed along with regular exercise has drastically reduced his relapses in the past few years.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!