Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a moodle called Brandy. He is approx 3 kilos and 3

Customer Question
Hi. I have a moodle...
Hi. I have a moodle called Brandy. He is approx 3 kilos and 3 years old. He was diagnosed with a suspected hepatic shunt approx 1 year ago. The vet said he would die. Since then I Put him on supplements of Boost - by Big Dog, Enzyplex, Protexin, and a pea protein from a human health shop. He was very well for a while but approx 6 weeks ago he was admitted again with stelvite crystals and unable to urinate. When he was discharged I completed his antibiotic treatment. I also commenced apple cider vinegar into his water.I also changed his diet to raw barf low fat, high fibre diet. I have tried so so many diets and he is a VERY picky eater. He hates LD(liver diet in a can) His appetite fluctuates. He continued on the boost & enzyplex . This last week he has not been eating much. Three days ago I went to the health food shop and got him vitamin C powder and Cranberry tablets, as advised by a person that answered the phone at a vet. He is now licking his lips and very restless. This has been increasing for about 36 hours. He just vomited on my bed - YUCK! I gave him lactose 1ml and flagyl 1ml just now. I have never had so much trouble with a dog or spent so much money. I am always concerned about him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 2 days by:
8/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Brandy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I am sorry to see you have waited until now for help from an expert. Do you still want an answer?
Some extra information will help me. Has he been proven to have a shunt? Do you have copies of any of his blood tests?
Have the crystals in the urine resolved; has a recent urinalysis been done to see if the crystals are still there? If the crystals persist, he is at risk for getting bladder stones. Has he had an Xray to see if he has bladder stones?
Are you giving "lactose" or "lactulose"?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your questions about him. Rebecca
Will this cost anything more Rebecca? I didn't know you had answered me because I didn't know how to access the answer.
Hello.
No, it won't cost more! Let me know how he is doing, if a urinalysis has been done to see if he still has crystals, if an Xray has been done, and how it was determined that he has a liver shunt, and I will do my best to help.
Blood tests showed elevated LFT. He had FTT and was very skinny. Still is small. sent urine analysis 1 week post discharge from hospital and it was clear. Urinating well. Eating good for about a week now. Changed his diet AGAIN to mashed organic potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato and saugages. Gave him boiled egg and sauage and cheese tonight. He likes this food. Has put on some weight. Not liking lips anymore. he only does this Occassionaly and seems uncomfortable when it happens. didn't get a ultrasound on his liver because the vet said that he knew it was a shunt. i think he thought he might die but that was a year ago. He's a fighter and seems happy and healthy most of the time. What can prevent stones. I am giving him ACV in his water.
Lactulose. Not proven 100% to have a shunt. no copy of blood tests.
Was a bile acids test done? That is an actual liver function test. In dogs liver enzymes do not tell us much about liver function. Do you know the specific liver enzymes (ALKP, GGT, ALT) were?
To diagnose a shunt, you have to either do an ultrasound or a bile acids test.
To prevent stones, I usually recommend a special diet that dissolves the crystals that lead to stones, like C/D or Royal Canin Urinary SO.
ACV does not prevent stones, and does not acidify the urine.
Cranberry does not prevent stones, but can help prevent bladder infections.
Lactulose is good for dogs with shunts.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian