Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a fkuid pocket after spaying. She already took

Customer Question
antibiotics, but it does not...
My dog has a fkuid pocket after spaying. She already took antibiotics, but it does not help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on your history, this does sound like this pocket has been present for a wee while and that she isn't otherwise collapsed or bleeding (as those would be urgent issues that your vet wouldn't have just tried antibiotics with). Still if you notice that this is getting bigger, her gums are pale, or she is weak; then we'd want to have her vet see her urgently to ensure that is not the case.
Otherwise, the most common reason to see fluid pocketing under the skin after spaying is due to the formation of a seroma. This is where the body reacts to having had the skin/muscle layers disturbed during the surgery and fills the disturbed space with serum type fluid. (It is actually the body's way of preventing there being space for infection).
Now in regards ***** ***** this, it does tend to just need time for the body to reabsorb the fluid and settle. To quicken the body doing so, we can help by warm compressing the area. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).
Overall, these would be our two concerns for this pocket. Therefore, as long as she is otherwise well and your vet has already ruled out any bleed, we'd want to use the above to help get this seroma to settle.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian