Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a thirteen year old lab mix who is covered with

Customer Question

Hi I have a thirteen year old lab mix who is covered with lipomas. On Wednesday she had a growth removed from her upper eyelid. Was not incubated. Valium and Leto something. She seemed fine when she got home not dopey or anything. Fed her a small meal at 4pm and then another small meal meal about three hours later. She went for a short walk and was quite perky.. That night she started throwing up aroun 2am. She wanted water but every time she drank she threw up. Got some anti nausea pills from the vet in the morning. It didn't do anything. Went back to the vets and got two different injectable medications one was Pepcid and the other was an anti nausea med. she stopped throwing up but has been wobbly and listless. Today she has gone out to pee once. Very weak. Gave her water with electrolytes and a half can of rx food en. She is panting a lot but her gums are quite pink. If something had ruptured inside of her wouldn't her gums be white?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Antiemetics can cause "wobbliness" (ataxia/"drunken sailor") and listlessness. Do you know which of the antiemetics was injected into Winnie? Was a pre-operative panel of blood/urine tests performed prior to Winnie being operated on? If so, were there any abnormal findings? To answer you directly, a slow bleed from a ruptured hepatic or splenic tumor might not cause profound anemia and white gums; significant bleeding would be expected to do so. Was there evidence of such a tumor and thus your concern?