Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been taking Doxepin allergic skin rash and

Customer Question
My dog has been taking...
My dog has been taking Doxepin for an allergic skin rash and itching. Tonight she has dilated eyes and is panting heavily. Is this dangerous--should I take her to an emergency vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 9 year old girl Lita who has dilated eyes and who is panting heavily. While there are a number of possible causes for these symptoms, the fact she has been on Doxepin for a number of weeks does concern me. Dogs can develop a problem called 'Seratonin syndrome' after taking anxiety medications like this for some time, and the symptoms typically include what you are seeing now. Because this syndrome does require immediate veterinary assistance, I would definitely recommend you play it safe and have her seen straight away. Here they can check her over and confirm, or rule out seratonin syndrome based on clinical findings from a full examination.

To read more about this potential issue in your girl, you can read online here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_serotonin_syndrome . As above, do get your girl along to your local ER vet first and foremost however. It is always better to be safe in these situations. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian