Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have 2 beagles, and when I came home today, they had

Customer Question

I have 2 beagles, and when I came home today, they had chewed up a bottle of carvadilol 12.5mg pills. I think possibly 4 pills are missing at most. What should I do, or be watching for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pups may have ingested four 12.5mg tablets of carvedilol. I do need some further information.

How much do your pups weigh?

How long ago did this occur (how long has it been since you discovered this if you have no idea when they chewed up the bottle)?

Do they have any health concerns?

How are they behaving now?

Eating and drinking normally?

As active as usual or do they seem subdued?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Female is 25 lbs, male is 30 lbs. I left home around 8:30am, got home around 2:45. That's is when I noticed the bottle I. the floor. They both went outside and seemed normal when I first got home. The female is laying down sleeping right now. I noticed one place that may belkin, but it's clear liquid with a white haze in spots.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not belkin, vomit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

This medication is used in dogs with heart failure as a way to ease the work of the heart and control hypertension. However it is used at very low doses, 0.1mg to 0.2mg per pound of body weight every 24 hours.

If you have typical beagles that are about 25-30 pounds then an appropriate dose would be 2.5mgs to 5mgs per 25 pound pup and 3mgs to 6mgs for a 30 pound pup.

If the 25 pound dog ate all the pills she would have ingested 50mgs (4 X 12.5mgs = 50mgs), roughly 20 times a normal dose.
That high of a dose can lead to dangerously low blood pressure and a very low heart rate. I suspect that someone vomited part of the pills given the clear liquid with a little haze (likely stomach mucous and dissolved pills).

Even if they split the tablets though that is a very hefty dose.

Ideally vomiting would have been induced as soon as they ate the medication. By now I am concerned that they have absorbed the medication and they could be in real trouble.

Ideally given the amount ingested I highly recommend your pups be taken to an emergency clinic to have activated charcoal administered to decrease further absorption of the drug and to closely watch for signs of low blood pressure and a very low heart rate and be treated appropriately should they occur.

Your other option is to observe them closely for symptoms over the next 24-48 hours.

The trouble is that you cannot measure blood pressure at home.

So the best you can do is check heart rates (less than 50- 60 beats per minute is trouble in smaller dogs), and signs of weakness, incoordination, severe lethargy, vomiting.

Best of luck with your pups, please let me know how things go for them.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so.

If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

Or we can continue this way.