Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is on Prednizone gums & still had to have teeth

Customer Question
My dog is on Prednizone...
My dog is on Prednizone for poor gums & still had to have teeth cleaned under anesthetic.. Can this cause the dog to gain weight?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Yes prednisone can definitely cause weight gain in dogs. Do you have an idea of what her ideal weight is? How much of the dog food are you currently feeding?

Unfortunately beneful does still have a moderate amount of by products so although it is a lower calorie option some of the protein and carb components are not readily digestible. That is why I prefer using more organic, human grade dog foods such as wellness, prairie to name a few.

With her breed if you are not overcoming the weight issue I would strongly advise doing a thyroid panel on her. Shelties are very prone to hypothyroidism and the prednisone can be exacerbating those symptoms. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

If you would like me to calculate her caloric needs based on her ideal weight please let me know. Also ensuring she is getting a moderate amount of exercise (20+ minutes of nice paced walk) daily is also imperative...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian