Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a coton de tulear. He is almost 11 yrs old. He lost

Customer Question
I have a coton de...
I have a coton de tulear. He is almost 11 yrs old. He lost use of his front left leg about 2& 1/2 weeks ago. Now his back left leg is showing signs of weakness. His red blood cell count is 3.9 n his protein count is high. Liver good
I have seen 3 doctors. Oh, exray of shoulder, leg n paw good. It did show a little arthritis. Thy are all perplexed? Looking for answers????
Also, tic test good. You should know as well that approximately
A year n a half ago he lost use of his back legs n his red blood cell count was low but not this low. There was no answer back then. Did not pursue because he miraculously recovered ! What do you think?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I believe, from what you have described about Bentley's condition and the fact that he had an episode awhile ago, that he has an unstable disc in his neck and/or back. I say this because this will not show on routine xrays and either a contrast xray needs to be done or an MRI to determine what is causing this. These are typical neurologic symptoms because something is blocking the nerve supply to these areas of Bentley that are affected. You did not say but he should be on anti inflammatory medications to stabilize the disc or discs and if this does not help, then surgery to remove these discs can resolve this for Bentley if there is not permanent damage.
The red cell count is not related to this condition as far as I can tell. Request fro your vet further diagnostics to know for sure.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian