Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a red nose pit that has been in labor hours and she

Customer Question
I have a red nose...
I have a red nose pit bull that has been in labor for several hours and she is panting and moaning but she isn't pushing at all and i have taken her out several times to pee and she has green mucus coming out this is her 2nd liter of pups and she is 3
years old first liter she had no problems i cant afford to take her to vet so i am wandering if this is normal or is there something wrong and if so what can i do to help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Gina, Animal Care Specialist replied 2 years ago
Gina
Gina, Animal Care Specialist

Hello:

I'm so so sorry no one has replied to you as of yet. Did you still need help with this issue? If you don't, just let me know in the reply box below. If you do, please answer the following:

1. Has she had an other pup yet? If she has, was the pup viable?
2. Is the mucus dark green with a foul odor?

3. Has she birthed any live pups during this litter?
4. Do you have ANY idea how many pups she is going to have via X-ray or ultrasound results?

Thank you!

she has had a total of 7 pups so far and apparently still gonna have more, all 7 pups are very healthy and alive and so far doing well, she is very tired and exhausted but doing well with it, and no we have no idea how many pups cause we haven't had any xrays done , i have 5 kids and 4 of those 5 are in school so i have very little funds for much of anything

Hello:

Did she have these 7 pups before she showed the green discharge and hasn't had one since? If so, how long ago was that?

no she had the discharge when she first went into labor and she has just had her 7th pup about 15 minutes ago
Ok that is FANTASTIC news! At this point, just watch her closely. Offer her some canned dog food if you have any available or even a scrambled cooked egg or two. Just something to give her a little energy. Be sure there is fresh water available to her but not close enough for a pup to wander into or for her to spill. Offer it, then remove it. :) Tomorrow, you might pick up some Tums with calcium and give her a couple of those to keep her from going hypocalcemic (where the calcium in the blood stream drops dangerously low) Tums with calcium will not hurt her nor the pups.
I'm so very glad to hear that she is coming along nicely...give her a pet for me and a "good momma". I wish you and her and those babies all the best of luck!
If you have any other questions regarding this topic, please feel free to use the reply box to let me know. If not, please take a moment to rate my personal answer to you so I am credited for my time.
Gina
Gina
Gina, Animal Care Specialist