Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a red nose pit that is in labor and she has been

Customer Question
panting and moaning for couple...
I have a red nose pit that is in labor and she has been panting and moaning for couple hours now, i have taken her out several times to use potty but she isn't pushing and she has green mucus coming out , i don't have the money to take her to the vet,
so what can i do or what should i expect
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
for dr salkin, my red nose pit bull is in labor and has been for couple hours now and i have taken her out several times to potty but she has green mucus coming out but she isn't pushing or trying to have the puppies this is her 2nd liter and she is 3 years old and i don't have money to take her to vet so what do i do or what can this be
Dr. Micheal Salkin, please help me
8/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Elizabeth Ann, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Elizabeth Ann
Dr. Elizabeth Ann, Veterinarian

Good Afternoon. I understand you had requested Dr. Salkin, but see you have been waiting for a bit, so I will give you some information. It sounds like Daisy has had a litter previously. I assume the delivery went ok last time and no surgery was needed. As you remember, it is normal to have green discharge (lochia) during the birth process and up to three weeks after birth of the pups. The green discharge does indicate there is separation of the placenta from the maternal (mother's) blood supply. Because of this, we are hopeful the birth will occur within 2 hours of the onset of the green discharge (4 hours at the most). If the pup is not born by then, it could die due to lack of oxygen. It would be ideal to get in to a veterinarian to have them assess for problems with the size of the pups (with xray) and feel that the pup is not stuck. If either of these conditions are present, surgery may be needed to get the pups out. You can feel in the vulva area to see if a pup is present there - if it doesn't come out in 20 min, you will need veterinary help.

The longer you wait for medical attention, the more likely the puppy(ies) will pass away, so I don't like to wait too long. If you don't feel a puppy in the vaginal canal, monitor for contractions but let Daisy have some space. Give her a quiet room and check on her once in a while. Sometimes they just need a little privacy. Good luck! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

ok i will check this out and she had no problems last time with delivery i cant afford a vet i have 5 children so funds are spent on them sad to say,
I understand. I will check back periodically to see if you have any additional questions. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do at home. At some point, veterinary intervention is needed whether it be surgery, oxytocin injection to improve contractions etc. On a good note, sometimes all they need is a little privacy and a little more time.
ok just felt and don't feel a pup, and i just took her out and she strained to poop and only pooped a little bit, so since i aint able to feel a pup does this mean it is all normal as to the way she is acting
ok she just had first puppy and is now cleaning it, seems to be doing ok , i will keep you posted
Yay! I am glad she finally had the pup! Generally, the rest of the pups will come along more quickly now. It can take 5 min to 2 hours in between but the last birth can be up to 12 hours later. Watch to see that all of the placentas are delivered. I hope they all do well.

How is Daisy doing? Hopefully she finished her delivery uneventfully. How many pups and how are they doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?
Dr. Elizabeth Ann
Dr. Elizabeth Ann
Dr. Elizabeth Ann
Dr. Elizabeth Ann, Veterinarian