Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 110lbs. Dane-Rottweiler mix ate a bit of left over

Customer Question
spaghetti with prepared Prego pasta...
Our 110lbs. Dane-Rottweiler mix ate a bit of left over spaghetti with prepared Prego pasta sauce on it (maybe 1/4 cup or less of pasta). We just found the empty bowl and I'm pretty sure it's too late for any hydrogen peroxide induced emesis.
Should we be worried about the onions and garlic in the sauce? What symptoms would he have?
Thank you for any help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In a dog Shadow's size, we'd not be worried about this being a dangerous level of garlic or onion. If anything, we could see some GI upset (ie appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea) but I'd not expect any issues with the severe toxicity potential of these (as in large doses we can see anemia which tends to appear as pale gums, weakness, and increased breathing rates).
Therefore, in this case, it is fine to monitor and use supportive care. Of course if you wish to err on the side of caution, even if its past a point where we can induce vomiting, you can consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Though otherwise, while monitoring you can try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.
Further to this, if he did appear nauseous, then we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, this is a low risk situation for Shadow. Therefore, we'd want to monitor for the above (anemia can take a week to develop, but again not really something we'd be worried about here)but we'd not be overly worried about any harm from this.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Thank you so much! He definitely isn't showing any signs of GI upset right now, so we'll make sure to keep a good eye on it!
You are very welcome, my dear.
I am glad to hear that he hasn't any of those signs. They do tend to start quite soon afterwards if we are going to see them. So, we'd not expect any issue with this wee misadventure.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian