Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Out puppy got into my "lunch" bag ... it was all torn up

Customer Question
when I got home. it...
out puppy got into my "lunch" bag ... it was all torn up when I got home. it had Emergen-C.. but only one packet was chewed on. A couple of Halls Defense sugar free, and a Not opened, package of tuna.. the kind that comes in like a tin foil packaging. ( not sure what else was in it. The little pup 4 pound tea cup poodle will not eat,, drink, acts like her tummy hurts.. and our 60 pound Golden I am sure helped.. tear up the lunch box.. do you think they will be ok. The Golden seems fine.. it is the little one I am concerned about
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

No worries about the Emergen-C. That should not cause any issues. However, the Halls Defense is potentially a big problem because it contains xylitol. I am very worried for your little dog and because of her symptoms must recommend you proceed to your closest emergency clinic for a check to ensure there is no hypoglycemia associated with xylitol toxicosis. This can be potentially life-threatening hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), with difficulty walking, and even collapse and seizures.

Your larger dog is at low risk with only 2-3 of the Halls tablets possibly eaten.

Your smaller dog may be only experiencing normal gastrointestinal upset from eating a variety of unusual items, which would be our best case scenario, but due to concern about xylitol, I would not take a risk with a wait-and-see approach. Better to proceed with safety, which means have her examined tonight and have her glucose level checked.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified