Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is refusing food x one day. Has taken small amts of

Customer Question

My dog is refusing food x one day. Has taken small amts of water. Diarrhea one time yesterday. Nothing today. Vomiting small amts of bubbly stomach fluid. Sick or obstructed? Three yr old female lab. Has been fixed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any abdominal swelling?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing eaten out of ordinary to my knowledge...but she is a lab and loves to eat. Yes she is lethargic...had to coax inside. She is not a digger but is digging small holes all over.....I believe to vomit in? Weighs approx. 70 lbs. No pre-existing. No swelling. Pushed around on belly...ni reaction. Pacing and laying around. Definitely not happy even know tail still wagging.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few seconds while I type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, certainly an intestinal obstruction is a possibility for the symptoms that you are describing in Brooklym. Other possible causes are: Gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting/diarrhea the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit, diarrhea or not willing to eat after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, xrays and blood work as initial screening test.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brooklym. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter