Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a westie who is 5yrs old and not desexed....how gh

Customer Question

We have a westie who is 5yrs old and not desexed....how high is the risk of developing pyrometra if she is left whole...she has silent cycles so that is not a problem....she has not had puppies and never will have....thank you....regards, david
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 years ago.

Hello David, My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with over 9 years of experience and I am hoping to help with your question regarding Tammy today. Do you know when her last heat cycle was?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO

Okay thanks for the additional information. In regards ***** ***** the risks of developing it increases with age with most cases ocurring in dogs over 6 years of age. Dogs that never experience pregnancy are at greater risk because the condition is greatly influenced by hormones. When the uterus is exposed to high concentrations of estrogen then followed by progesterone without pregnancy, this makes the uterus more likely to secrete fluid leading to a likelihood of this fluid accumulating inside of the uterus . This uterus can distend the uterus often leading to pyometra.