Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 8month old Bengle, he has some diaries and can't

Customer Question
Hi I have a 8month...
Hi I have a 8month old Bengle, he has some diaries and can't keep his food down. The vomiting is only today ,the runs has been three days. Can u give me some advice please .Jean
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can he keep water down?
What does his diarrhea look like? Any blood or mucus?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
His gums are pink , touching tummy just wagging tail
Thank you, ***** am sure you can appreciate, when kitties have both upper and lower GI signs like vomiting and diarrhea there can be a number of culprits. This includes bacterial infection, viruses, parasites, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, sensitive stomachs, toxins and foreign bodies. If we can rule out toxins and just set foreign bodies to the side for the moment, then we can consider the remaining differentials for his signs.
Now in regards ***** ***** care at this stage, as long as he can keep water down (since those that cannot often need to see their vets for injectable anti-vomiting medication), you can try to address the nausea triggering his stomach upset. To do so, you can consider treating him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
These are usually given 20 minutes before food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications.
Once that is on board, you can consider tempting him with a small volume (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples besides the boiled chicken would be boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity control). Now if he can keep the small amount, he can have a bit more after 30 minutes. And as he keeps it down, he can have a bit more. The aim of light diets is that they are easier on the stomach and therefore not as likely to cause vomiting. Furthermore, as they are quite easily digestible (and we are using small meals), they can be better absorbed by the compromised gut and reduce diarrhea at the same time. These diets can be fed until his signs settle and afterwards you can slowly wean him back to his usual diet.
As well, GI upset of this nature can quickly lead to dehydration, we do keep a close eye on his water intake and his hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure your cat is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have your kitty seen by his vet before this gets out of control for him.
Otherwise, if that is ok just now, then we’d want to keep an eye on this but encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. As well, wet foods (as mentioned above) are 35% water, so getting him to eat will help us deal with water intake as well.
Finally, since you have not mentioned any blood in his stool, you can consider trying him today on a cat safe anti-diarrheals. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if his diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset.
In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) available from your local pharmacy. Alternatively, you can also use Propectalin, FastBalance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon). option. These are all safe options that will slow diarrhea and the last few have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI. Just to note, do avoid using Pepto Bismol (as it contains aspirin) or Loperamide (since this can be toxic for cats).
Overall, when we see both upper and lower GI signs in a cat, we do need to tread with care. Still with his vomiting arising later and having been mild, we can consider initiating some supportive care at this stage. So, I would advise the above approach. Of course, if you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 24 hours or so (since the diarrhea has been present for a few days already), then we'd want to follow up with his vet for a check at that point. The vet will be able to have a feel of his belly and make sure he hasn't eaten something he shouldn't have, rule out any brewing pancreatitis, and determine the underlying cause for his signs. As well, the vet will be able to cover him with antibiotics against gastroenteritis and anti-vomiting medications by injection to help settle his stomach and get him back on track as quick as possible.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian