Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

2 weeks ago my 7 year old boxer jump into our boat off our

Customer Question
Hi . 2 weeks ago...
Hi . 2 weeks ago my 7 year old boxer jump into our boat off our dock. After that he started to limp and didn't want to put his foot down.Was actually putting it back and laying it on top of his toes. After resting it for 2 weeks he seemed much better and was walking on it, but this weekend he ran around playing ball and now he is doing that again and limping much worse. When I feel his back hind legs he doesn't flinch until I push slightly on the very back end. Could it be a strained muscle or a disc problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear your Boxer injured himself and then repeated it a few weeks later. Often with an injury we return to exercise very slowly to minimize recurrence. For example, if you sprain your ankle you should not run a mild the first day you are weight bearing. A slow return to exercise tends to be 5 minutes twice daily for a week then double and etc...
There is a possibility it is a sprain/ strain, a disc, or even a knee injury as well. To determine if it is his stifle which is the most common injury in the breed this will require a veterinary exam because it is not overtly palpable...we test for what is called drawer in the knee, feel for effusion, and do a tibial thrust evaluation that are not something that can be tested for at home. If the stifle is normal then a full neurologic exam to evaluate the area you were noting discomfort.
For now, returning to rest and restriction and any pain medications you have for him, rotating warm and cool compresses for ten minute intervals on the area where you had pain along with his stifle, and massage up and down that leg along with his back to increase circulation and therefore healing
But if it continues I would urge a veterinary exam to rule out a cruciate injury or a back injury for your Boxer and determine if there are other methods that maybe helpful in stimulating recovery such as acupuncture or laser (light) therapy to aid in urging his healing
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today. I hope he is feeling better soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian