Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Thanks previous response to my question about Riley.

Customer Question

Hi! Thanks for your previous response to my question about Riley. Unfortunately, I have another one. She has been recovering very well, and was feeling almost back up to her normal rambunctious self. Two days ago, on a road trip back from college she got
sick in the car (she has never gotten car sick before) and again that day after the car ride was over. She seemed playful and was eating and drinking normally so I didn't think much of it. Today, she had diarrhea and was drinking water this morning but not
nearly as playful as usual. She didn't seem to have much of an appetite. About an hour ago she vomited and had a bowel movement that was half solid, half diarrhea and seemed a little bit gelatinous. She will no longer eat, even when I offer turkey, and isn't
drinking water and is extremely lethargic. She stopped taking tramadol for pain 3 days ago, could this be withdrawal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
This won't be a withdrawal issue for Riley, as that is not something we see in dogs and we'd have expected anything of that nature sooner. Instead, I'd be more wary of an opportunistic GI infection or potentially a complication with her recent surgery. While I hope it is not the case, we can sometimes see breakdown of the healing GI (since it can take a few weeks to fully heal). As well, if there has be development of too much scar tissue, we could see the inside of the intestine end up too small for food to pass or adhesions on the outside trapping the intestines into odd positions in her abdomen. Therefore, with these signs present so soon after her operation, I do feel it best to have her checked at this point. If it is an infection, the vet can start treatment. But in Riley's case, we just need to make sure that there is nothing going on related to her recent surgery.
Please take care,
Dr. B.