Dog Veterinary

We have the chance to adopt a rescue pit mix puppy who is 12…

We have the chance to...
We have the chance to adopt a rescue pit mix puppy who is 12 weeks old and has still with her mother. The rescue group said she won't get to be more than 20-25 lbs but noone can tell me why they think that. They also told me she had parvo but has now tested negative for it. My question is: is the size estimate based on... Read full answer
We have the chance to adopt a rescue pit mix puppy who is 12 weeks old and has still with her mother. The rescue group said she won't get to be more than 20-25 lbs but noone can tell me why they think that. They also told me she had parvo but has now tested negative for it. My question is: is the size estimate based on having parvo, and do they know already it affected her growth? Also, what are the long term effects of the virus? Thank you. -Sherri Poall
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/10/2015
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

First, thank you for considering adoption. There are so many wonderful pets awaiting their forever homes that it is almost mind boggling that anyone would pay humongous amounts to purchase a pet.

It is not an exact science when it come to guestimating how large a mixed breed puppy might get, especially when you have no idea about the size of one, or even both, parents.

Perhaps the mother dog is on the small size, some pits are much bigger than others. If the rescue has had the puppies for a while, they know how fast & how much the puppies have grown in that time period & that can be a big clue. And then you just look at the size of the puppy now. Are the features, face, paws & general body size on the small/petite size, or does the puppy have enormous feet & knees?

The one thing you do not have to be concerned about is the parvo virus this puppy recovered from. The virus, while it can be deadly, does not leave any long lasting effects. It will not stunt the puppies growth, or affect her health as she matures. If you decide to adopt her, make sure she receives at least 1 more distemper/parvo vaccination in a month ( she is immune to parvo for a while, but can still contract distemper & the other diseases that we can prevent with the vaccine). Then make sure she is re-vaccinated in a year, then every 1-3 years as recommended by your veterinarian.

So, to answer your question directly, her size is not dictated by having parvo, & there should be no long term effects to her future health.

I hope this makes sense & has addressed your concerns. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you very much. Relieved to learn she will not have long term side effects. We hope to meet her in person soon (and her mom), so hopefully that will shed light on her future size. Sincerely, ***** *****

You are so welcome. I hope you can invite her into your home soon. I have a soft spot for pit mixes myself.

Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I just adopted an older dog, 8 years old, small 10 lb. Cairn
I just adopted an older dog, 8 years old, small 10 lb. Cairn Terrier mix. She has a cough that sounds like a spasm, almost like a whooping couch sound in humans. She also spits up phlegm sometimes (bu… read more
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Associate Veterinarian,
She has been making a weird snorting sound all day. I
She has been making a weird snorting sound all day. I noticed her nose is hot and dry too. She isn't really eating like one would expect her to … read more
Lisa
Lisa
Certified Veterinary Technician,
My female had puppies then s week later puppies started
My female had puppies then s week later puppies started dying and now mom passed from hemorrhage what could have caused her to hemorrhage … read more
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Associate Veterinarian,
Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine
Stop searching for answers—
My 6 yr old pit (mix) Has been healthy from birth. Still
My 6 yr old pit (mix) Has been healthy from birth. Still appears to be except for a small growth noticed about a year ago on the back of her head. Initially told by a vet that it would go away with ti… read more
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
What breeds do you think are represented in this pup? And at
second opinion] What breeds do you think are represented in this pup? And at 8-9 lbs at 4.5 months, how much do you think she'll weigh at adulthood? We're considering adopting her and her rescuers don… read more
Dog Veterinarian,
When do the puppies start to be able to eat food besides the
when do the puppies start to be able to eat food besides the mother and what should i feed them… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My daughter lives in Columbia and adopted a recue dog. It
My daughter lives in Columbia and adopted a recue dog. It was very skinny and they said it had worms. They treated it with shots. Then a week later at a follow up visit they put her on antibiotics. Sh… read more
Veterinarian,
Our county animal shelter had a dog with parvo. Consequently
Our county animal shelter had a dog with parvo. Consequently all of the puppies "may" haven been exposed. I wanted to adopt a delightful pop 4 months old. A vet told me the incubation period is 7 to 1… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
I took my dog into an urgent care facility because he was throwing
I took my dog into an urgent care facility because he was throwing up and just seemed off. They did a parvo test and it came back light positive. They put him on fluids and antibiotics. He stayed ther… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
My sister has a one year old small Yorkie. She wouldnt eat
My sister has a one year old small Yorkie. She wouldn't eat yesterday, but vomited a few times which she does on occasion. Today she passed pure blood through her bowel. They took her to a clinic and … read more
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Veterinarian,
pit bull: weeks old..fine until today..noon she started throwing..crys
hello i just got a pit bull puppy i think she is about 4 weeks old and every thing was fine until today like at noon she started throwing up her puppy food she did that twice and she crys like if she … read more
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Emergency Veterinarian,
dog: his siblings to the dinner table and was malnourished
We are considering the adoption of a rescue dog. We were told shortly after his birth, his leg was broken. He had a hard time beating out his siblings to the dinner table and was malnourished. His leg… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Stop searching for answers—
appitaite,decrease activity level,sick look in eyes, diarrhea
sudden loss of appitaite,decrease activity level,sick look in eyes, diarrhea, all with in the last 2-3 days in an 8mo.pup… read more
Veterinarian,
schnauzer mix: me last night and said she has parvo
I am suppose to adopt a schnauzer mix puppy, and they called me last night and said she has Parvo. Can this be overcome? Thanks Joann… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
English cocker spaniel: vaccinations..she came down with parvo
I have a female English cocker spaniel who is 4 months old. I had originally intended to raise her as a show dog; however, when she was 3 months old, before all her vaccinations and boosters could be … read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
My newly acquired puppy died last week from an illness that
My newly acquired puppy died last week from an illness that looked like parvo, but tested negative for it..(on the quick test that they can do in a few minutes...) She was a 5 month old dachshund and … read more
Veterinarian,
how big will this puppy get she is 9 weeks old, 8 pounds and
how big will this puppy get? she is 9 weeks old, 8 pounds and is a mixed breed. her mom is less than 20 pounds and is an eskimo cocker cross. the dad is a collie. I want to adopt her but afraid she wi… read more
Doc James
Doc James
my daughter has a 5m old black lab. She called a vet this morning
my daughter has a 5m old black lab. She called a vet this morning and was told it sounds like her puppy may have parvo. What are the options to getting this taken care of and what are the chances of s… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree