Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a French Bulldog who is almost 10 years old. At our

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Hughes. I...
Hi Dr. Hughes. I have a French Bulldog who is almost 10 years old. At our last check up, my vet, who herself is a Frenchie breeder, noticed a lump/growth on his left leg. She told me to watch it, which I have been doing. It seems to has grown some and now I think I see something similar on his left front leg. He does not seem to be in any pain, is not limping. The lump is about the size of a quarter. It is not hard.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/10/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I have to say that while its good that this lump is causing Winston no discomfort, due to its location and increased in size, we need to tread with care. This is because lumps on legs can be difficult to remove if they get too big (since there is very little excess skin ensure all of a mass is removed and allow the surgical site to still be closed). And if left, we do see growths that split the skin to cause constant issues with wounds and infections. As well, in cases where the mass is cancerous and too large to take off, we sometimes have to take the whole leg to remove it.
Therefore, we don't want to just let this get bigger. At this stage, the best way to approach an abnormal mass like this is to have your vet evaluate it via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear fluid is removed, then a cyst is likely (which can be removed cosmetically or drained if it fills). Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined. That will allow you to appreciate if this is something that will keep growing as well as whether it is something that needs to be fully removed right away before it spreads on the leg or into the body.
Overall, we always have to be wary of masses that are actively growing. And this is even more important when on a body part that doesn't have a lot of space for removing growths. Therefore, at this point, it is highly advisable to have this reassessed and tested by his vet to determine what is present with a view to getting all of it off before it gets too big to do so.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian