Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My with flop ears (5yrs old)keeps getting ear infections on

Customer Question

My ***** ***** with flop ears (5yrs old)keeps getting ear infections on the same side she had surgery on. Surgery was in 2012 to remove a cyst on her neck that could have caused her to go deaf in the one ear bc it was so close to ear drum. (At least that's what the specialist told me). $4000 to have the cyst removed she seems to hear fine but she gets the infection in that ear once every 6months
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I must admit that I'm puzzled about how a cyst on her neck could be close to her ear drum. I can understand, however, infection recurring in a surgical site due to its never having been completely eradicated immediately following surgery or due to an anatomical distortion in that post-surgical site which might trap bacteria. This is a situation very difficult for me to assess from here. Can you clarify what was found, where it was found, and what type of surgery was performed? If not, a call to the specialist would be prudent and you might receive the answer to why infection continues to be problem in that ear.