My two dogs ate my mother's incontinence pad. They show no symptoms right now. Should I induce vomiting.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My two dogs ate my mother's incontinence pad. They show no symptoms right now. Should I induce vomiting.
Answered by Dr. Peter in 3 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has it been since they ate the pad?

2- How big was the pad?

3- How much do they weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer
1. Probably 2 hours ago (we weren't here - my mom was alone with them)
2. 8 inches x 4 inches (approximately)
3. They each weigh about 85 ponds
4. No

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the concern would be a possible obstruction by the pad. To induce vomiting you would need to pick up hydrogen peroxide 3% in your local pharmacy. Ideally we need to induce vomiting within 2 hours of ingestion, so you need to move quickly and pick up some peroxide. This is what you can do:

1- Give them each 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow them to walk for a minute and move their belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If they do not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If they do not vomit or you do not see the pad in the vomit change their diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the pad in the feces.

4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change their diet as above then wean back into their regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer
I've always used salt. Can I give them that? And, is it too late?

I would not recommend you use salt; it can cause salt poisoning. If you can not pick up peroxide change their diet as described above.

In my experience this type of foreign body tend to stay in the stomach longer than 2 hours, so, I would go ahead and try to induce vomiting.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Hi Sara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Read less
unlike
4 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.