Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog, Maltese and shiatsu mix has to areas of bumps on her

Customer Question
back. Between the shoulder blades...
My dog, Maltese and shiatsu mix has to areas of bumps on her back. Between the shoulder blades and just above her tail. I have had her shaved and on prednisone and augmentin and special
Shampoo every few days. It has cleared up some but seems to be flaring again. I think the area sweats as it feels damp. Or the bumps may have fluid . Tried different kinds of wash and aloe. Frustrated please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She is 5 years old and her meals are organic brown rice and boiled chicken breat
No grass inyard
8/9/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
In most cases, these are staph infections. The staph bacteria is noral flora on their skin and when the environment is right with moisture and warmth, these will over grow causing these bumps. They may also be Sebaceous Cysts that are infected this way. These are oil glands within the hair follicles that can become infected in this same way. You are doing all the right things by clipping the hair and using medicated shampoos but these instructions may help further:
Give your gal Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If this does not help, your vet will run further tests to see what else can help your sweet girl past this.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Can I do the Benadryl with the prednisone and do I leave betadine on??. One other comment. These do not seem to
Itch.
Thanks for the photo....it is good that they do not itch and this may mean that they are SEbaceous Cysts rather than abscesses. You d not need to use the Benadryl since she is on Prednisone but the Betadine will dry out these areas so the bacteria cannot grow. The Benadryl would only be used if it itched.
I was confused and do not need a call. They seem to look like fluid may be in them. How long does she need to take meds. It's seems like it's been over a month now
In some dogs, this happens sporadically for no particular reason. It does not harm your girl but is a nuisance. They will come and go especially at the tailhead. Treatment will resolve them but they may return and treatment is given again, Usually, the Betadine will be enough to resolve this.
Ok thanks . Just applied betadine . Will be religious and hopeful
Good for you...it is worth a try...
I hope this helps your sweet girl!
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian