Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog with mild heart worm issue who is on heart worm

Customer Question

Dog with mild heart worm issue who is on heart worm preventative to resolve has a ' cough' and spits up sputum occasionally. One time it had a small amount of blood in it a few months ago, but not since then. Took her into vet to be checked out then and she seemed fine. This morning woke up and she had spitt up blood.
Also saw her eating grass yesterday.
She takes L-Theanine twice daily because high strung (400 mg. total)
She seems to feel well and she has been eating and drinking ok.
What are the possible causes of something like this?
Should we just watch and see if this stops today, see if It resolves on its own and take her to vet tomorrow ? Is there anything we can give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I going to get a response?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. By the principle of Occam's Razor, Isabella's hemoptysis - coughing up blood - is due to severe heartworm disease rather than the "mild" heartworm issue you mentioned. Please note that the use of a heartworm preventative in heartworm positive dogs is smart but without treating the adult heartworms with an adulticide such as melarsomine, continuing damage to Isabella's heart and lungs occurs resulting in the hemoptysis you're currently seeing.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Isabella. How is everything going?