Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a very active 8 yr old golden doodle. Over the past

Customer Question
I have a very active...
I have a very active 8 yr old golden doodle. Over the past week I notice that she seems to be guarding with certain movements. She doesn't want to get up on her hind legs to greet me like she has always done. One time when stretching, she yelped, once when she turned quickly she yelped, and this morning when she squatted to hurry out as the garage door was opening, she yelped. She doesn't seem to be favoring her back legs, but I have seem them shaking a few times. I don't know what to do for her.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so very sorry to hear about your Goldendoodle. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.
Here is more information on this condition:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
It could be a simple sprain or sprain as well but regardless ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.
You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.
If you do still have additional rimadyl please continue at the prescribed dose today. If warranted, you can try to find another veterinary clinic open for the weekend to get additional pain medication and hone in on the cause of her distress for this one appointment (and have the records faxed to your regular vet Monday).
The trembling of the back legs is neurologic weakness common with back injuries. Restriction, massage, rotating warm and cool compresses on her back hopefully will get you through the weekend but if you could find a vet open this weekend that would be great to minimize the risk of having to go to a veterinary er later in the weekend when all regular vet clinics are closed if she progressively gets more painful.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Hi Cathy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian