Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 12 1/2 yr old Silky Terrier started walking with her back

Customer Question

My 12 1/2 yr old Silky Terrier started walking with her back arched and slow and seem to feel a little bit better after going potty both 1 and 2 then acted more herself but then a little later started acting that way again, took her out to go potty she only peed & she also had a little accident after already peeing 3 different times right before that, then seemed a bit better again, then I thought she wanted me to rub her belly and when I went to rub her belly she whimpered & a little later I tried to figure out exactly where she was hurting and I touched right above her pp and she yelped. She is still walking slow. what could this be and do you think she can wait to tomorrow to go to the vet cause I do not have a ride to take her right now. I would have taken her earlier but she seemed to be feeling better. We thought maybe it was her sweater that may have been too tight and she would not let us move her legs so I cut it off her. I always check it after I put it on her but it seemed a little tighter than usual. I know it is summer but she is cold blooded and always likes something on, we put lighter weight on her in the summer. Sorry rambling cause I am worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. A "hunched" back in a miniature dog usually indicates spinal pain often due to intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") although it can also represent pain in the kidneys due to pyelonephritis - a bacterial infection. Sammy's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including blood and urine tests and perhaps X-rays of Sammy's spine in order to clarify why Sammy is behaving as she is.
For now, it's important to keep her as quiet as possible in case her back is hurting her and, yes, aspirin is safe at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food and repeated at 12 hour intervals.