Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs lip is hanging but not in a normal way at all it is

Customer Question
Hi my dogs lip is...
Hi my dogs lip is hanging but not in a normal way at all it is very hard to describe I took a picture but can't send them to you through here
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian

Hi there!

Couple of questions for you:

1. Is it the upper lip that is hanging? Only on one side?
2. Is the lower eyelid droopy on that side of the face as well?
3. How long has this been going on?
4. How is she acting and moving around otherwise?

Sorry I sent the same one twice

Thanks for the pic. That's a tumor of some kind, unfortunately. It's impossible to tell what this is without a biopsy but oral tumors tend to malignant (cancerous), especially in boxers. I wouldn't wait too long and have Rocky looked at and the tumor biopsied (or removed completely) to determine what it is and how to proceed further. The reason biopsy is done first (before complete removal) is to find out what type the tumor is so that we know how much healthy tissue to remove around it to achieve complete cure. Certain malignant tumors require a large margin which may be difficult to achieve in a place like the mouth and benign tumors may need minimal healthy tissue to be removed. It helps to know this before going in surgically so that the procedure can be planned appropriately - that way too much tissue won't be removed without a reason and too little won't be removed either.

Hope this helps!

Hi Devin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian