Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

70 lb boxer. Bad ps 11 1/2 yrs old. Is on metacam. Tramadol.

Customer Question
70 lb boxer. Bad hips...
70 lb boxer. Bad hips 11 1/2 yrs old. Is on metacam. Tramadol. Gabapectin. Can I give her pregnisone. Very uncomfortable tonight
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian

Hello there. I am sorry to hear Norah is in pain this evening. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately you cannot give prednisone tonight because she is on Metacam. These two medications, if given together, can cause severe gastrointestinal upset and ulcerations in her stomach. So you do not want to mix those. If she is in a lot of pain tonight you can most likely give her more tramadol. At 70 lbs she can have up to 3 tablets of 50 mg tramadol every 8 hours. So if she hasn't had that much then you can give her more. You can also add in Tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours. This is safe with the medications she is currently on and can help improve her comfort. But again do not give her prednisone with the Metacam.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I thought Tylenol was poison for dogs. Only aspirin was allowed

Tylenol at the wrong dose, like any medication, is toxic but at the appropriate dose it is actually very helpful in dogs with pain like this. We use it very frequently with older dogs that need more help with arthritis control and the veterinary surgeon I work with uses it post surgery also. It is not toxic at the dose I said above. Aspirin is actually harder on dogs than tylenol and cannot be mixed with metacam either. So that is why I suggested tylenol.

Thank you so very much. You have been more than helpful. Will try more tramadol and Tylenol. Calling vet in am. Again thanks I would have given her the pregnisone if not for your expert help

You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions or concerns. I am happy to help you this evening. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you

Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian