Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 1 year old Lhasa Apso/Poodle vomited in s kennel

Customer Question
My 1 year old Lhasa...
My 1 year old Lhasa Apso/Poodle vomited in his kennel overnight. All day today he has been lethargic, unwilling to eat or drink, and unsteady on his legs. I took his temp expecting it to be over 102 (the vet said that was the normal temp) but he only registered at 100. He hasn't vomited again today. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Your veterinarian is correct on the temperature; a normal dog temperature can be up to 102.5F but over that is a fever. However, I am still concerned with him, given that he is probably a small dog and therefore at risk for moderate to severe dehydration if vomiting without eating/drinking. I can certainly make some suggestions to you to try at home, but first we must assess if he is in a crisis/emergency situation such that you should not do a wait-and-see approach at home, and need to proceed to an emergency clinic.

Inidcations this is an emergency would include blood in the diarrhea or vomit, profuse vomit/diarrhea to the point of heaving or excess straining, abdominal/stomach pain, profound lethargy/fatigue, difficulty breathing or a temperature of 103F or higher. IF any of those are going on, then my best recommendation is have him seen tonight on emergency. Please do not wait.

If he has none of those emergency signs, then here are a few suggestions for you. Hopefully your vet made similar suggestions:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Peptobismol liquid: Give 1 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

4) Offer an electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte (non flavored) for infants. Can be given with syringe or dropped.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified