How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19798
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ate morning glory plant

Customer Question

Dog ate morning glory plant
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.


Is your dog showing any signs at this point?

How long ago was the ingestion?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Think it was eaten yesterday afternoon no symptoms until this morning has not thrown up no bowel movement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
has been very unresponsive all day will not drink water unless put down with a dropper
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks.

It doesn't sound like you're seeing the typical toxicity signs. Usually we'll see vomiting and neurologic signs. The toxin in morning glory plants is like LSD. They have hallucinations, muscle tremors and potentially seizures. They typically occur within 6-8 hours of the ingestion.

I think the signs today are from the plant material moving through the gut. That can lead to some discomfort and decreased appetite. It wouldn't hurt to get him seen and get some fluids in him. They could do IV or sub Q (under the skin) to help rehydrate him and get the gut moving better. Otherwise, you may be able to just wait it out a bit longer and things should resolve over the next 12-24 hours.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.