Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dachshund mix started licking the floor, carpet, dirt,

Customer Question
concrete suddenly this evening....
our dachshund mix started licking the floor, carpet, dirt, concrete suddenly this evening. She let out a big burp at one point. She seems scared and distracted.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

In my experience where a dog suddenly starts licking at various objects as in your case the underlying cause often is that they do this because they are feeling feel nauseous and bout of gastroenteritis is often on the way. The burping may fit in with this scenario and the other symptoms you note would also be consistent with abdominal discomfort.

If what you are seeing is caused by an uncomplicated gastro-enteritis starting up then there are home remedies you can try and I will list some below for you, but be aware that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay.

Of course in the meantime you should try to prevent her from licking at these objects and surfaces and also there are a number of simple home remedies you could try in this sort of situation, these can often work well work well where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. a tablespoon twice a day would be enough for the average sized miniature Dachshund.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your Dachshund is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect nausea incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian