Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Checking on my dog's symptoms trying to figure out if it is

Customer Question

Checking on my dog's symptoms trying to figure out if it is something I need to take her to the vet for
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her symptoms are red droopy eyes that came out of nowhere - she didn't eat anything out of the ordinary that i'm aware of... she's not acting lethargic, or out of normal... we played Frisbee catch yesterday and she did just find... also it is only 1 eye.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is she squinting the eye?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 - not really... it just is there.
2 - 2 days max - I just noticed it yesterday evening before bed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How many milligrams of benadryl are you giving and how often?

3- Are you seeing any swelling in the eye itself?

4- It is only in 1 eye, correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 - 80 lbs
2 - only administered twice - childrens benydryl (all we had) - 5 ML a dosage x2 today so far
3 - no swelling that I can see
4 - only her right eye as far as I can tell.. the other one is red, but not as bad/droopy
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Are you seeing the eyelid droopy?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
umm.. yes I believe? it looks like it just isn't sitting right... when he blinks it goes back to normal and you can see her red eye
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Friend, when we see the eye becoming droopy this means that the nerves that innervate the muscles in and around the eyes are not functioning properly. So, the big question is: What is altering the function of these nerves? This can be caused by many different conditions. It could be a problem with the eye itself or secondary to something else going on systemically. You see, the nerves that connect with the eyes can be affected even by something occurring in the thorax or abdomen. Now, the same is true when we see redness. The redness in the eye (s) could be as a result of inflammation within the eye itself or a reflection of something else going on systemically. So, in response to your question I would definitely recommend having her checked by family veterinarian for an eye examination. In the meantime, feel free to flush the eye with over the counter eye wash 2-3 times to keep the eye moist. The day of the exam with family vet do not flush the eye. I would try to have her checked as soon as you can to measure her eye pressure on rule out things like glaucoma.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter