Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog was diagnosed with hermangiosarcoma in Nov last year.

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with hermangiosarcoma in Nov last year. She has been fine. I came home and she is laying with teeth clenched. She wags her tail but will not move. She was fine until 1 hour ago. Is this time to have her put to sleep? She was fine and all of a sudden this happened.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your dog is showing these new signs

Can you please tell me her gum color? Is she responsive to you at all?

Using the pain assessment form where would you put her: http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

I am on-line an additional 15 minutes this evening:

If her gums are pale and sticky, her respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, her abdomen appears swollen, she is >2 on the pain assessment scale I attached, minimally responsive to you then I would advise taking her into a veterinary er tonight to determine if the hemangio has unfortunately ruptured but from what you describe and this diagnosis I fear it might be time to let her go.

Believe me, I have lost a dog to this disease and understand how devastating it can be, my thoughts are with you as you have to make this terrible decision...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Thank you

Please disregard any automated follow up questions to our conversation, you are both in my thoughts this evening...

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and your dog. You have been in my thoughts since you asked your question yesterday...