Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

My 14 year old chihuahua female is having labored breathing,

Customer Question

My 14 year old chihuahua female is having labored breathing, no sound or cough, no wheezing, etc. At this point she cannot lie down, nose in the air, and is falling asleep sitting up. Her heart is pounding, feet are cold, gums are still pink. I would rather she not suffer of course, but would rather her pass away at home with me holding her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 2 years ago.
HI there, this is Dr. Elaine
I'm very sorry to hear about your chihuahua.
Labored breathing in an older dog can often be secondary to heart disease. The lungs can fill quickly with fluid. Sometimes there is no coughing, but the head position and effort you describe are very worrisome for her suffering.
If she has pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) often an injection of a diuretic like lasix (furosemide) can help rather quickly. many times oxygen must also be provided. Obviously this means a visit to a veterinarian.
Making sure she is not overheating is crucial, being it is the hot summer and all, and when patients are having a hard time breathing to begin with, heat only makes it worse.
Her feet/paws are likely cold due to poor circulation--this may be secondary to heart problems/ congestive failure. Congestive heart failure can develop very suddenly, even though in most cases the heart itself has been getting weaker and weaker over time, until it can no longer compensate.
This does not have to be what is wrong. Other things like infection (pneumonia), cancer, asthma, are also seen in dogs, but heart disease is most common.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to want her to go peacefully in your arms, but that may not be possible at home when she is so labored. Although not as intimate as at home, euthanasia at a veterinary office can be done with little stress to her, in a private room, with sedation to alleviate her labored condition.
I wish you the best in a situation such as this. Peace be with you. Pleaser let me know if I can answer anything further.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
I'm just following up on our conversation about ***** *****. How is everything going?
Dr. Elaine