Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a dachshund, approx 16-17 pounds. He just ingested

Customer Question
My dog is a dachshund...
My dog is a dachshund, approx 16-17 pounds. He just ingested a vitamin D supplement of 2,000 i.u.'s. Is he safe?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now in this case, 2000IU translates to a 0.007mg/kg dose for his weight. This is a very small dose for his size and we’d expect no harm here.
Therefore, in this situation, you do have a few options. If he has just eaten this within the last ~2 hours, you can choose to err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting (which I am happy to discuss with you) or administering activated charcoal (which is OTC at your local pharmacy and can be given at a dose of 1-4 grams per pound of his weight) to limit absorption of this tablet. Otherwise, since the dose is very low, you can instead monitor and just take some steps to soothe any GI upset.
In regards ***** ***** that, we’d just want to consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Further to this, if he did have some stomach upset, we can also cover him with an antacid to keep his stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, one 2000IU tablet of vitamin D is not a danger for a dog this size. Therefore, we’d not want him to have any more, but we’d just want to monitor (or err on the side of caution) at this stage.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian