Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My parents are watching my golden retriever who is 82lbs. He

Customer Question

Hi. My parents are watching my golden retriever who is 82lbs. He ate 1/16 of a boiled corn cob (as my father described the length between tip of my dad's finger and the first joint). This happened three hours ago and the dog has since defecated. His stomach is also soft ie not like a basketball or drum tight. I told my parents to monitor his feces tomorrow morning, see if he is lethargic or vomiting and if any of these signs rush him to vet. I also told them that instead of feeding the dog his normal breakfast, divide the meal into three portions and monitor his feces in between. Is this all OK? There is no emergency vet within an hour of them. Should he go to vet tomorrow am for xray just to be sure?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ps. My dad is 5'6" so the distance between the tip of his finger and first joint is not that big.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Yes with a dog his size ingesting that small of a corn cob should really pass without incident. The only additives I would include are:

- Reduce the diet by 25% and supplement with white rice and feed several meals throughout the day. This helps bulk up the stool and push things through
- Increase leash walks 15+ minutes at a good steady pace 2-3 times throughout the next 24-48 hours which also increases gi motility and helps push this through more readily

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I had already typed my response and sent it when I saw your request for a phone call. I am unable to perform this so if you would prefer the phone call I can opt out to allow another expert to assist you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. Do you have any questions about Diego?
I have had Golden Retriever patients that have been able to push through the frozen dinner trays of years ago so I have confidence your dog and his size will have no issues digesting the corn cob :)
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!