Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 11 year old toy poodle appears to have a stiff neck and

Customer Question
has bouts of rapid breathing...
our 11 year old toy poodle appears to have a stiff neck and has bouts of rapid breathing. symptoms appeared about 4 hours ago after he stumbled while climbing 6 flights of stairs to our apartment. He has a history of congestive heart problems for which he takes daily meds.
Any advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your little one is showing these signs.

I can give you basic guidelines for him but if this is not improving or worsening please seek veterinary attention asap

Ideal is to have your veterinarian first thing tomorrow evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the neck to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Unfortunately we are very limited in over the counter pain medications, especially because your vet will be prescribing something more effective to get him comfortable tomorrow.

Here is a pain assessment form to review. If he is >2 then I would advise a veterinary er tonight to give him relief

http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

You can try benadryl at 1 mg/pound every 6-8 hours which will help allow him to rest and put his head down if he is able. Please elevate food and water bowls to chest level to allow him to eat and drink.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I hope Pepper was able to finally rest last night after your question was asked. I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepper. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian